April Fools Day is almost here! Here are 11 of the easiest April Fools Day pranks you can pull this year. The lazy person’s guide to April Fool’s Day. I’ve added more this year!
For the past few years I’ve been giving you some ideas for April Fools Day pranks. I have once again added to that list this year!
As I’m sure you know, April Fools’ Day is the scariest of all the holidays. Not only because it has an incredibly difficult apostrophe placement but because it’s way scarier than Halloween. Seriously, what’s scarier to you? A kid dressed up like Batman politely knocking on your door between the hours of 6 and 8 p.m. or worrying all day that someone is planning to terrify you with an April Fool’s joke? The later obviously. No one even has to do anything, it’s the notion that it might be coming.
Now, the fact that April Fools’ day is always on April 1st immediately takes a certain amount of surprise out of the whole situation. People are on edge, and generally twitchy that day because we are all the same. We know we cannot trust our family and friends.
They laugh when we fall, point out pimples and consistently bring up our worst and most embarrassing moments around strangers.
Oh Jim! I’d like you to meet my sister Karen. Karen, Jim’s a medical physicist. And Jim you’ll be interested to hear that Karen once peed her pants in grade 9 on a park swing set.
But because everyone is kind of expecting something on April 1st, your April Fools Day pranks either have to be so over the top that they’re obviously done just for the hilarity of it. Orrrrrrr they have to be so smart, so subtle that the victim doesn’t know immediately that they’ve been pranked.
The last reaction you want from an April Fools Day prank is for someone to just roll their eyes. Or even worse – have no reaction at all.
There’s nothing more pathetic than a joke that falls flat. The easiest way to really get someone on April Fools’ Day is to celebrate it on August 17th.
This is my newest list of easy pranks that pretty much anyone can do. They won’t cost $125 for post-it notes or balloons, and they won’t end in lawsuits or heart attacks.
23 Harmless and FUNNY April Fools’ Day Pranks
Food Related Pranks
1. Add a Voice Activated sign to pretty much anything new in your workplace. Toaster in the break room, equipment, new TV …
I’d personally take this one step further with the toaster in the break room. I’d go buy a cheap toaster at a thrift store and remove the levers for lowering the toast. So there is literally no way to push the toast down, reinforcing the ridiculous nothing that it’s voice activated.
2. Out grocery shopping on April 1st? Slip something into someone else’s cart when they aren’t looking so they find it during check out. Hemorrhoid cream, condoms, that sort of thing …
3. Add food colouring to milk or cream that’s in a cardboard container. I LOVE this idea.
4. Fill a mayonnaise jar with vanilla pudding and casually eat the whole thing with a spoon in front of someone.
5. Put googley eyes on everything in the fridge. EVERYTHING.
6. The old raisin in the toothpaste trick. My sister Fish Pedicure did this to me a few years ago. It seems so innocuous, but when you squeeze your toothpaste and something brown comes out of it, … it’s alarming in a way that’s difficult to describe.
Just push a raisin into the neck of the toothpaste and squeeze a bit of the toothpaste up so you can’t see it in there.
7. Partially melt a chocolate bar and leave it on the toilet seat. Extra points for wiping your hands on the toilet paper roll.
8. Buy bags of mushrooms (and a few huge portobellos) and cover the front lawn with them.
9. Empty the fridge. COMPLETELY empty the fridge so when your family members open it in the morning it’s a vast hole of emptiness. (just put everything truly perishable like meat, milk or mayonnaise in a cooler, everything else like condiments, drinks and vegetables can go in a box for an hour.)
Pranks To Play On Your Family
10. The shark. Print it out and tape it to the toilet seat. (as seen at the top of this post)The best part about this is the shark actually flutters a bit when you lift the toilet lid from the air movement.
I’ve taken the liberty of creating a PDF that you can print out right now. It’s printed on 2 pieces of standard printer paper. You just need to tape them together and then tape them under the toilet seat. Just click on the links and print away. (They need to print on the paper with a horizontal orientation, not vertical which you would normally use)
11. Rearrange the contents in your kids or partner’s dresser drawers so when they wake up to get dressed, nothing is where it should be.
12. The night before April Fools’ Day go into your spouse’s car and turn all the settings to maximum: radio, heat, windshield wipers … ALL of it.
13. Replace family photos around your house with photos of strangers or celebrities.
14. You know how kids can sleep through anything? If you have kids that share a room, when they’re sound asleep switch their places so they wake up in the other one’s bed.
15. Cover the sensor on remote controls with a piece of tape so they don’t work.
16. Click through to here if you’re familiar with IFTTT commands to rig your Google Home to say WHATEVER YOU WANT in response to commands. For example: When you say “Hey Google, my sister is here”. You can have Google say, “Her? Doesn’t she owe you money??”
17. If you’re fluent in iPhone you can change someone’s phone ring to a person screaming. Or a cat meowing. Your choice. Then of course make sure you call them.
Office April Fools Pranks
18. Work near a window? Glue a quarter (or loonie or toonie) to the sidewalk outside and watch.
19. Write a co-worker’s name on a pair of underwear with a Sharpie and leave them somewhere in the office bathroom.
20. Hide Scented air fresheners all over someone’s office.
21. Change your bosses screensaver to something like this. Works especially well if your boss miserable.
22. Drop a fake spider into your mother’s/daughter’s/friend’s/co-worker’s purse when they aren’t looking.
23. Unroll a toilet paper roll a few times. Using two sided sticky tape tape a small fake spider onto the top of the toilet paper and roll it back up.
I think you’re sufficiently armed now.
In light of one Canadian province and 3 spoil sport American states banning April Fools day jokes (how they think they’re going to enforce this is beyond me) I’ve kept the pranks as low key as possible, but if you want to go BIG with any of them feel free to do it. Just don’t do it in Quebec, Arkansas, Ohio or North Dakota.
→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←
I told you it was way easier to prank when you didn’t do it on the actual day. ;) Feel free to fool anyone you want in any province or state this April Fools Day.