I have nothing against beer, I just don’t want to wash my floor with it. And for some reason every time I used my Swiffer Wetjet on my floor (no this isn’t a sponsored post) I could smell beer wafting up from my checkerboard kitchen tiles. Not such a bad thing but in a kitchen it meant I was constantly craving beer battered fish and chips.
At first I thought my beer loving mother Betty was sneaking in during the night to have one of her famous keggers, but as it turned out it was just the smell of the Swiffer Wetjet cleaning solution.
I love my Wetjet for doing quick cleanings of my floor but I’d been meaning to figure out a way to refill the container because a) I didn’t like the smell and b) my VCT tile floor needs a very specific type of cleaner to keep it looking good. Also it angers me to no end that they purposely package the solution in a bottle that isn’t refillable so you constantly have to buy new plastic bottles of cleaning solution.
My VCT tile floor needs a neutral PH floor cleaner and I need a lemony smelling floor cleaner. It just gives a cleaner scent than the Swiffer cleaner which smells like Oktoberfest farts.
My first thought was to try to pry the cap off of the bottle and refill it that way but they’re done a really good job of making that impossible without breaking something. Either your hand or the bottle.
So I gave up.
It wasn’t that important and I had other more important things to do like take care of my compulsion to cook bratwurst.
Then about a month ago it hit me that I was going about it backwards. I didn’t need to pry off Swiffer’s opening, I needed to make a new one.
And if you’re wanting to make your Swiffer Wetjet container reusable it’s all you have to do too.
How to refill a Swiffer Wetjet
- Find a cork or plastic plug that you can use as a stopper in a hole.
- Drill a hole into the top of the Swiffer bottle that’s the size of your plug.
- Remove the bits of plastic that fall into the container after drilling.
- Fill the Swiffer Wetjet container with your favourite floor cleaner.
- Plug the hole with your cork or stopper.
- Find your plug/cork and drill bit.
2. Drill a hole in the top of the Swiffer container. It’s easiest to do this with the bottle still in the Swiffer because it holds it still.
3. Little bits will have fallen into the container. Remove the Swiffer container and shake it until all the plastic bits fall out.
If you use a cleaner that needs to be mixed with water, write on the bottle how much cleaner you need to add to the filled container. For me it’s 4 teaspoons of cleaner to 1.4 litres of water (the amount the Swiffer container holds)
4. Fill the container with your cleaner and water. You might find it helpful to use a funnel. You might not. The GREATEST thing about this whole refilling tip is that when you mix your cleaner you can use HOT water to clean your floor.
5. Plug the hole with your cork or stopper.
Here’s another Swiffer tip if you don’t know it already.
Instead of buying their disposable cleaning pads, use a microfibre cloth. It will velcro right on the bottom just like the original Swiffer pads but it does a better job of cleaning and you can just toss them in the washing machine to reuse over and over.
Now if you’ll excuse me I have a really strong urge to make a lemon curd.