You don't need 12 different ways to remove gum from clothing - you just need ONE way that works. This is the only method you'll need to get gum off of your clothes or any other fabric. Please read this before you smear peanut butter all over your pants.
That right there is bum gum. I have no idea how it got there all I know is when I took my jeans out of the washing machine AND the dryer, I saw it. So not only was I dealing with chewing gum bum, I was dealing with bum gum that had gone through a variety of procedures that ensured it was completely baked on.
I've never been so happy in my life. For AGES I've wanted to show you this gum removal trick.
As luck would have it I must have sat on some gum recently, allowing me to fulfill one of my greatest dreams as a blogger. Showing you how to get gum off of clothing. Any fabric really.
I've already taught you how to remove stickers from glass, permanent markers from walls, ticks from any body part and various other critical lessons in removing things from where they shouldn't be. WARTS! I also showed you how to remove plantar warts.
Therefore it is with great pleasure I present to you my bum gum. And the removal of it.
Table of Contents
How to get gum out of clothing
Like I said in the opening, you don't need a zillion options to get rid of stuck on chewing gum. You just need one that works. And this is that method.
I know this because I've tried all the methods.
It works by dissolving the sticky stuff in the gum, letting you pull it away from the fabric. Not with your fingers though.
- Dip a Q tip into rubbing alcohol and soak the offending gum. In these photos I'm only removing the top blob of gum.
2. Allow the rubbing alcohol to sit for 45 seconds or so.
3. Press a piece of duct tape onto the gum and pull it away.
4. Repeat pressing the duct tape to the gum over and over until it's all gone.
If the gum doesn't start to lift within the first 2 or 3 pulls with the duct tape you can soak the gum with rubbing alcohol on a Q Tip, wait another 45 seconds and try again. It will work.
The gum is gone.
How Does Rubbing Alcohol Get Gum Out of Clothes?
When it's wet the rubbing alcohol breaks down the polymers (the sticky stuff) in the gum. After 45 seconds or so of sitting the alcohol has had time to break down the polymers and then dry so you can use the duct tape to remove the gum.
It won't stain, ruin or damage delicate materials like silk or satin.
3 Other Methods for Removing Gum
Honestly, you don't need another method. This one works. But if you don't have alcohol on hand you can try one of these methods.
- Soak the gum in vinegar and scrub it with a toothbrush.
- Put the garment into the freezer to harden the gum then try to pick the chewing gum off with a blunt knife or your fingernail. (gross)
- Put an ice cube in a plastic bag and hold it over the gum until the gum is frozen. (if you don't put the ice cube in a baggie you'll get the gum and clothing all wet which will make it harder to remove)
- Use an adhesive remover like Goof Off or Goo Gone.
I have not tried or tested any of these methods other than Goof off and Goo Gone, which I can tell you do work but are messy and in the case of Goof Off, stinky.
Now that you're armed with this information get out there and wink at men, wink at women, shake your ass around; fully confident that even if you have bum gum no one will notice because you are radiating with the confidence of someone who knows how to easily remove it.