The Ayam Cemani Chicken.
Black feathers & skin.

I get a lot of people linking to things on The Art of Doing Stuff Facebook page. Stuff they want me to see.

Most often it’s either about potato chips, chickens, or pizza.

On rare occasions it’s about something that doesn’t have to do with food. I don’t like those rare occasions. They make me itch.

Pizza can make you itch too but only if you eat it while sitting in a patch of poison ivy. Which would be worth it for even the worst piece of pizza.

So when Julie put up a chicken link on my Facebook page the other day I thought … Huh … a chicken link! Actually I said …. Huh! A chicken link! outloud and sprayed potato chips all over my computer.

What I opened up when I clicked on that link was a whole new world.

Allow me to introduce to you via Julie, via Geekologie …

black-chicken-3

all-black-chicken-1

This photo is not Photoshopped. This is what the actual chicken looks like. Every single bit of it is black.

Everything.

Ayam-Cemani-Chicken5

This chicken’s skin, bones and organs … are black.

You might think it’s ugly. Horrifying even. A freak of nature. I love it.

The Ayam Cemani is a breed of chicken from Indonesia.  And I want one.

Which is a shame because you can only buy them in pairs.  And they’re $5,000 per pair.  Unless you do some REAL digging on the Internet in which case you can pick up a pair from Green Fire Farms for the low, low price of $1,999.

On the other hand a black Sharpie only costs a couple of bucks.

all-black-chicken-4

So. What do you think?  The Ayam Cemani.

Breathtakingly Beautiful or Shockingly Scary?

1. Freddie says:

Wow,it’s so amazing..I have never seen this kind of chicken.Please help me know this,can this type of chicken grow in Africa specially in Tanzania?

Hi Freddie! I’m not sure if the Ayam Cemani’s are adaptable to the Tanzanian climate. I expect it would depend on where you are in Tanzania, if you’re in the higher cooler areas, or lower hotter. Most chickens aren’t agreeable to anything over 30 celsius. The trouble you might have is finding them! They’re still fairly rare. ~ karen!

2. Angela says:

Wow, this is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I looks like a statue in these pics!

3. Suzanne @ Le Farm says:

Breathtaking…and I bet they taste just like chicken!

Hi Allestra – I actually own chickens that lay blue eggs! 🙂 If you search my site a bit you’ll find picture of the eggs. Sometimes they’re blue and other times they’re more green. That’s the colour of egg that Cuddles lays actually. ~ karen!

• Allestra says:

Ah Well colour me corrected! haha I have seen cuddles eggs and I do pay attention teacher! i swear!*cringes away from the ruler wack to the knuckles* ( haha felt like I was being chastised for being a bad student just then, lol) My monitor must be not translate the blue to well then, cuddles eggs haven’t appeared blue or green to me before. Ah well. I followed a link through while i was looking at the Ayam Cemani’s eggs. P.S Really happy Cuddles is doing better.

4. Laurinda says:

Gorgeous! The iridescent sheen on those feathers is just STUNNING!

5. Karen Duke says:

Silkie chickens also have black skin and meat, but more importantly to me, they’re the most lovable little chickens of all. Those feathers make them feel like a rabbit and most of mine are more affectionate than our cat is, wanting to sit with you and be carried around. A pair of black silkie chicks would probably set you back about $20, tops. (The only color on my all-black silkies is their blue ear lobes). But be forewarned, you’ll want them to live INSIDE your house because you’ll want to spend every spare minute cuddling them. Silkie eggs aren’t black, but they are small and somewhere between white and cream colored.

6. Annie Kip says:

Awesome – I thought I had seen all the options, but an all-black chicken!?!? Wow – beautiful!

7. Shelley says:

I think you need to put up a donation button on the website so we can all chip in a buy you a pair of Ayam Cemani Chickens. All we ask for in return is the live chicken cam and periodic detailed updates.

8. Ruth says:

Beautiful…. as long as he keeps his feathers on and his organs to himself.

Otherwise… ugh!

9. Debbie says:

I am not into keeping chickens (though I love that you are and that you write about it) and I had to catch my breath. This chicken is stunningly beautiful. I prefer the live version to the dead. Thank you for sharing this. I am going to google it just to see more of them.

10. Stephbo says:

That chicken is way too beautiful to eat.

11. Mindy says:

When I saw the thumbnail photo in my reader, I literally said, what the fuck is that!? It looked like a black chicken carcass, but I knew that couldn’t be right. Clearly I was wrong. I’m undecided.

12. Jean says:

What color is its poop? You only have yourself to blame for my interest in chicken poop, you know. I think the chicken is a fabulous color. Not so sure about the meat, though. How would you know if you burned it?

13. Michelle Whibley says:

Someone told me last week about a chicken they saw on a farm that looked like a phoenix — all gold and shimmery! Do you know what that one might be?! As soon as I saw this stunning beauty it reminded me of the conversation…

14. Shauna says:

Beautiful, gorgeous, the purple running through the feathers is amazing. It’s a perfect chicken for an ex-goth kid:) Was that a chicken or a rooster? The tail feathers are so rooster-like.

15. Just like my mom used to say “how does a brown cow eat green grass and give white milk?” Hmmmmmmm

16. Robyn says:

They are beautiful!!!! Not quite sure why anyone would want to kill them and eat them. That’s the scary part for me.

17. Leslie Zuroski says:

Really beautiful! I love all that beautiful black mix with the textures. They do make Sharpies now extra wide.

18. Tracey says:

Wow, just stunning!! I have never heard of or seen a black chicken. I love that every part of him is black. What an amazing creature.