The Living Room Makeover. I Got It All Wrong.

When last we met to discuss my living room I had pounded my fist on the table declaring I was going to have an English Roll Arm Sofa and ONE chair!  End of story. Everyone out of my way while I have at it!

This is a purposely awful picture of my living room.  Literally a snapshot, not a “blog” shot.

Heh.  I mightta been wrong about that whole English Roll Arm sofa and only one chair thing. But I’m not sure.  This is why I haven’t started making over my living room yet.  This is also why I’ve had  the same haircut since I was 16.

My living room is “the room”.  The room in my house that feels wrong no matter what I do. Even when I change things around and think I love it, the love is fleeting and within months or even weeks I’m scowling at it again wondering when it’ll stop texting me.

Why is my living room such a struggle?  Because it’s weird.  I normally like weird, but weird isn’t helping my living room in this case.  It’s not symmetrical, the windows are off centre and it doesn’t have a single full wall.

Plus it’s sort of narrow and long.  Sort of.  The living room measures around 15′ x 11′ with the fireplace taking up a big portion of one wall. The problem with this is there isn’t a lot of space on either side of the fireplace for chairs.

So after declaring this the living room with ONE chair, I’m rethinking that decision.  I feel like this room has SO much going on architecturally with 2 windows, a fireplace, 2 bookcases and a big, framed entry that I need something to really anchor and focus everything.  Something solid and bold.  Like a Snuffleupagus.

Orrrrr two matching chairs. Not even just two chairs.  Two MATCHING chairs.  I’d like them to be in front of the fireplace, facing each other.  The Eames chair in the corner is comfortable, but when winter hits and I’m sitting beside the fireplace, I can’t even really see or feel the fire because I’m smushed in the corner. Which is the only place the chair and ottoman will fit at the moment.

I’d also like two chairs in front of the fireplace with the option of being able to see the television from them.  Which means that television over the fireplace might get moved.  Obviously having your television on your mantel isn’t a design lovers dream but honestly, it’s where most people put the television because a lot of times there’s no other option.  Yes. Sometimes even designers put their televisions there because it makes the most sense in terms of having a room be functional.

I may have a bit of a mission on my hands finding two chairs that meet all of my requirements.  Seriously. Like, I might not find these chairs until after I’ve already turned this living room into a bedroom because I can’t handle stairs anymore.

My made up, totally unrealistic chair checklist is this:

• VERY small footprint, but feel big and comfortable.
  • Down wrapped foam cushions
  • Swivel!
  • Maybe even recline!
  • But not look like a recliner.
  • Have a high enough back that your head is supported.
  • NO preference for whether they’re traditional/timeless or mid century modern.  (phew)

NOW what this means is I can’t pick out a couch until I find these two magic chairs. IF I happen to find two magical mid century modern chairs that means I’ll want a more classic couch.  If I find more traditional chairs, I’ll be leaning towards more mid century lines for my couch.

Ready for the hitch???  I’ve been looking around and what I’d really like is an antique couch.

Sometimes I wonder why you people even follow me. I clearly have NO idea what I’m doing ever.

I’m actually thinking of sending my room floor plan to some of my most favourite designers and hoping they send back a completed plan.  I’m talking to you Suzanne Dimma (former editor of House & Home magazine), Carol Reed (designer of my kitchen) and Amy Beth Cupp.

I love my foyer …

I love my dining room …

I love my kitchen …

But I cannot, CANNOT get my living room right.

The worst part of all of this is the fact that this 2 chairs by the fireplace thing means there’s nowhere for my beloved Eames Chair.

These are a few of the layouts I did up quickly based on the furniture size I would be likely to get and none of them look great.  Partly because it’s a mockup layout with nothing else in the room.

(made with the West Elm room planner)

(I’d have a long wood or marble table in front of the sofa but it was easiest to use a long upholstered bench to simulate the right size in the planner)

You know looking at these I’d probably be smart to just keep a stupid sectional in the room.  ACK!!!!!

I might just turn this into a bedroom right now.

Have a good weekend!

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

1. Marilyn Meagher says:

What does pink tool belt have to say about it.

She thinks my room is fine the way it is, lol. ~ karen!

• Janie says:

I agree with your very brilliant sister. Leave it alone until something fabulous serendipitously finds you…like those wicker chairs you’re going to give to me. Keep the Eames chair where you enjoy sitting in it. It looks great on you.
        I feel the same about my home sometime. I get tired of the arrangement and some of my “stuff”, but when others visit they LOVE IT!
        Your home is wonderful. Enjoy it.

2. Wendy says:

Lee Industries has “small” upholstered swivel armchairs. Very comfy

3. Eileen says:

They sell tvs that default to a photo array/screensaver/painting. A very viable option. I read all the comments, all 500 of them, all different. Good luck with that!!!

4. Susan says:

I feel your frustration. I’ve totally given up on my living room. The house is also a century home, complete with the creepy spider-infested basement but the upstairs has been renovated and opened so that the eat-in kitchen has a huge door into the living room. My problem is a huge mahogany sideboard that my great-great grandfather bought sometime around 1858 from the Labatt’s Estate in London. There isn’t a wall big enough for it to lie flat against so it’s on an angle in my living room. And, of course, that throws everything else off. I’ve lugged the thing around Ontario and down to PEI and often wonder if I’m stupid, because I’m getting older and don’t think anybody else in the family will want it when I’m gone. So family history continues to war with house pride.

5. Having similar issues in my own living room, in fact, the only thing I like about it is the tree outside one window with bird feeders on it (yep, my favorite past isn’t even inside the house). So with this post, I’ve decided since I’m already ripping off your chicken coop design, that I’m just going to wait to see how your living room ends up and copy that too (so please don’t make it a bedroom). Now I’m off to change the haircut that I too have had since I was 16… sincerest form of flattery (or just let me know if you need my address for the restraining order)

6. p says:

Your other rooms really show your personality and ability to do this thing smoothly! I’m not doubting your mad skillz.
    I’d empty that room and stare for a few. (now this part is me, probably not you…I just don’t like watching tv, so it would be cut) I’m hankering for one of those great old Gustavian settees with a tufted little mattress on it, so that’s what I’m seeing in this room…amongst a bevy of plants and trees. Think of an old world conservatory. Ahhh…

7. Marci says:

Layout #3 and you still have room for the Eames chair in the corner. Whatever you do don’t settle! I finally got rid of my living rooms suite I had for 10 years because after two years of looking I just settled. Shortly after I HATED it but couldn’t afford a new one.

8. Vicky Evans says:

I am not a decorator but here goes. There is way too much furniture in the living room. I love each piece but the number of tables (end, side, coffee) overpowers the room. Maybe rotate them out & in. Never line the walls with furniture, it always ends up looking like the day room at an asylum. If you have too much furniture to move it out away from the walls then you need less furniture a room. Some people have to have perfect symmetry which is fine but unfortunate because it’s never the most interesting look unless you live in a castle or chateau. Use odd numbers of things 3, 5, etc & don’t match stuff exactly in size shape or number on either end. The other rooms pictured that you (& I ) love don’t appear to be burdened with absolute symmetry so you understand the beauty of informal balance. Go with it. I agree with the comment that the sectional has to go. A couch or chaise is nice to lay down on but again too much couch looks like a community day room or a dr waiting room. The computer layouts are a good idea. #1- ditch the ottoman between the chairs, It makes the room look like an obstacle course. Every piece of seating doesn’t need a companion piece, table, ottoman, etc. A floor lamp by the chair you would use the most for reading would look great. #2 is quite good but the coffee table/ bench is too close to the same length as the sofa. It doesn’t invite, it creates a barrier or a squeeze chute effect visually. One thought would be instead of 1 long table/bench place the two ottomans from the new chairs you get next to each other in front of the couch with a gap between them. You could set a tray on one if you want to put small stuff on display. #3 is all kinds of no. The chairs look like they were moved in for a big event & will be leaving soon. #4 is good except for the ottoman in front of the chair again. If you need an ottoman for comfort when you use a chair put it to the side (or in front of the couch) with books or a throw on it & move it up when you need it. Your floor is beautiful so I wouldn’t go with any floor covering more than the one you have in front of the eames chair. I agree maybe the eames chair needs to find another room to live in for awhiles. If you keep the eames chair in the living room then the ottoman needs to not be directly in front of it, it just is too big with both together. But that kind of defeats the look of the eames chair so…what to do? One thing I do when I’m making BIG furniture changes is I move the existing furniture out or to one end of the room & make outlines of the exact footprint of each piece with fridge boxes etc then move them around so I get a feel of how much room each piece will actually take up. You can also use painter’s tape on the floor of the exact dimensions of the furniture but cardboard cutouts are easier to move around. Sorry about the epistle but hopefully some of it is useful. I was a member of a facebook decorating group recently & some people got angry with me because they thought I was negative. I didn’t run anything down or call names or anything but I gave an honest opinion as I have here. I assume if someone asks a question they want an answer, stupid me right. Anyway if you want me to leave & never darken your blog doorstep again that’s ok. I hope not because I love your blog. I cuss like a sailor, I would rather get tools than any other gift & if you can make me laugh I can forgive everything else in life. I think we’d get along great.

9. As far as I know a ‘frikadel’ is a Danish meatball.
    I SO sympathize with you, I too have had an impossible-to-place-furniture-in living room. I think #4 is your best bet. BUT, turn the chairs so they’re facing each other more, and add a settee instead of a couch that faces the fireplace. One (round?) coffee table in the middle.
    No idea what to do with the rest of the room, sorry.

10. Renee King says:

Great post!

I have a year of interior design schooling in my past which makes me “expert” according to friends. Ha! I’ve lived with this horrible living room for 30 years and have had probably 20 completely different arrangements, complete with all different furniture and accessories. Psychotic!

One good thing I did though, is help my husband install an OmniMount TV Full Motion wall mount above the fireplace. Up, down, side to side, pull-over-the-mantle, tilt, the whole thing. It covers almost any sin I can commit against this room. BTW, when we got ours it was almost $300. Now they’re much cheaper and more logical.

Form follows function…;-)

11. Michele Zivkovic says:

What about two parallel love seats by the fire place and then one or two chairs near the bottom of the mock up?

12. Idaho Girl says:

The 1st thing I thought when I started reading, and before you mentioned it was: swivel chairs by the fireplace. Followed by the thought: it’s going to be impossible for you to find swivel chairs that will satisfy your architectural aesthetic eye. So I wish you good luck, and I can’t wait to see how you finally solve this, because I have complete confidence that you will.
    P.S. I know it makes solving the problem more difficult, but I don’t see you ever being happy without your beloved Eames chair someplace within easy access…

13. Shannon says:

Layout #1 wins. If you have multiple people, you can easily swing the chairs toward the couch. Cozy fire, your chairs are right there. You got this girl! And we follow you because we love you and your crazy problems that you share with us. We’re not perfect, and we love that you’re not either!

14. Valerie says:

You can add the swivel to any chair. So find ones you love and pull out the tools!

15. Karen Beck says:

Your house is beautiful. Until you find exactly what you’re looking for why don’t you pull your sectional in a bit closer to the fireplace and Eames chair. Depending on where the entry to the room is, you may have to lose the end table in there but you can put a slim console table behind one section of the couch. That couch looks cozy and will be perfect closer to the fireplace. And besides, sectionals are so much more functional in small rooms.
    #thestruggleisreal

16. Alena says:

If you love the Eames chair (I do) keep it in your living room. I like the spot by the fireplace.
    Remember, you live there permanently. Visitors are there for a few hours only. They will survive.
    The Eames chair “sparks joy” (and I am not konmarie fan). That should override anything else.

17. Linda says:

Okay, I think I have it! Layout #2 with adjustments, move YOUR EAMES CHAIR (yes, it stays!) and ottoman into the lower right corner. This is good because you can see the fireplace and TV better and the profile of the beautiful lines will be optimized! I know this will overlap the cased opening a lot, but I think that’s okay, that opening is large. Buy something compact (it looked crowded before) for the top right corner where the Eames used to be… swivel or placed on an angle facing the sofa. Tub chairs are back! Add a rectangular coffee table to scale only if you have room, otherwise smaller cocktail tables for drinks. You’ll have to get creative with wall art to make sense of the window behind the sofa… I loved that coco kelley site! I’ve also lusted for an English roll arm for years (thanks to Suzanne Dimma, or was that Lynda Reeves?) but recently opted for Barrymore’s ‘Manhattan’ instead to bring a bit more modern into my 1939 Moderne influenced home. I do love it…

18. Ann Brookens says:

Well, I’ll jump on the bandwagon and say I also like design 1 best. Have you tried just separating the sectional and moving it around, living with different configurations to see how they flow? Cost-free and more convenient than borrowing your neighbor’s furniture!
    And we read you regularly because we love you! …I also like knowing that someone else may dither as much I do or make *interesting* mistakes!

19. Kris says:

I didn’t read all of the comments, there are so many!!! So if you already got this info, sorry 😉. There is a store called Sumple Cottage in Muskoka that I saw has upholstered swivel chairs that look nice. Check it out.
    Could the Eames chair live in your bedroom? You have to keep it
    And ditch the sectional, I think it’s making the layout challenging. I love the two chairs facing each other near the fireplace

20. Beth Cappiali says:

Can you knock out a wall?

21. Vikki says:

#1, but angle the chairs so your feet are more toward the fireplace. Have a large coffee table or ottoman between the chairs but farther away from the fireplace–within reach but still accessible to the beautiful new couch you are getting. Your Eames chair is beautiful but it’s kind of like a classy car that is a pain to drive and guzzles gas. I think it is your Snuffleupagas; I’m sure you’ll find somewhere else for it in your house. Can’t wait for the next installment of….The Continuing Saga of the Living Room!!!

22. Sandy says:

You really only need one spot with a good view of the tv and close to the fire. The rest would be for company and visual appeal. Why not split the room into two seating areas. Get the comfy swivel chairs with a high back and position close to the fire but far enough back to see the tv. If you get a pair that are “good looking” recliners, then you will have less use for a sizable couch. Or even non-recliners with an ottoman/bench coffee table (my preference). On the other side of the room, tuck the Eames into the bottom right corner (based on your layout above), angled, and add a smaller loveseat style sofa on the bottom left. That would make for a pleasant sight line from the foyer and allow for the space you need for the chairs, where you will likely spend most of your time. Two smaller 4×6 area rugs would ground both areas and not cover up to much of the floors.

23. june says:

All right, I’m gonna suggest something radical here. Maybe you really don’t NEED the changes you think you WANT.

Is your living room comfortable for you and your guests? If not, why not?
    Seems like there is plenty of comfortable seating, right? Even though aesthetically the TV placement is not the greatest…. does it work for you? If you want the Eames chair in the room, dammit put it in the room. That’s your house and your chair. Push it back into the corner when not in use and pull it out when you want to cozy up to a fire. By the looks of this website you don’t spend all that much time lounging anyway.

So what if this room is not he most Pinterest worthy in your beautiful home? Who’s complaining? Not us.

I know, I know lol. But I want it to feel nice for me. When I walk in I want a sense of Ahhhhhhhh. I don’t like most of the rooms on Pinterest. They’re too Pinteresty, lol. But I hear what you’re saying. ~ karen!

24. Katharine says:

Hi Karen
    Personally I think one old English style sofa is enough, instead of the large L-shape. If you went with one sofa and matching chair, with your Eames chair facing the fireplace, it may be enough. I do think the fireplace should be the focal point in the room. The last picture seems best. I have a large granite fireplace in a livingroom that is wider than it is longer but in my experience, it’s always nicer to look straight ahead at the fireplace that looking at it sideways.

25. Jennifer says:

This may sound like an ad (it’s not) but have you looked at the swivel chairs La-Z-Boy has? Not the ones that look like the traditional “dad” chair, but the tailored ones (Midtown or Allegra). I have no suggestions on where to place furniture, but that’s my suggestion on a source for a swivel chair.

26. D L F says:

My husband and I have been looking at reclining chairs like you described. American Leather is who makes them. They also have swivel/rocker/ recliners.

27. Lianne says:

If this were my room, I would absolutely do a sectional. But not the one you currently have – a well designed one custom built for your space. It feels like you are trying to put too much furniture in when one really nice sectional with a nice rug and some great floor cushions would feel really cozy and be more beautiful and practical. I would have the longer leg of the sectional butting up to the left of the fireplace, with just enough room to open the bookcase doors. This isn’t the right sectional, but it has the right dimensions – about 10 feet long and 6.5 feet wide: https://www.article.com/product/12199/mello-taos-tan-left-arm-corner-sectional I would put the television on the wall where Eames chair is now and then move the eames chair with a side table to the other end of the room (where you have about 5 feet of space) for a little reading corner. (I would actually get rid of that chair, but I know you love it.) Sometimes we have to give up what we think we want (chairs) for what we really want (a room that feels just right and welcoming).

28. Naomi says:

The proportions look similar to the living room in my previous house. We ended up dividing the room into two sections and it worked well. Could you leave the eames chair where it is and put the couch facing the fireplace but moved closer? Then you could have a low coffee table in front of the couch and a sofa table behind. That would leave space behind the couch for a desk, chair and plants, or two matching chairs and a games table, or space for anything else you love. Just an idea.

I did have it set up with a sofa table behind it for years. It was O.K., but felt cramped. Definitely not enough room for anything other than a table back there even with the couch pulled up. At one point I thought a desk would be great but it was too squarshed. :/ ~ karen!

29. Leslie says:

how about a low round coffee table with image 3 and 4 ?

30. karen j cosme says:

ditto with the sofa facing the fireplace with a large ottoman, not the bench. the chair might work on the other side of the sofa, facing the door or at an angle from the window. or you could just switch the furniture from layout #1 as i stated above. maybe slightly smaller chairs. a very large handsome floor lamp on both ends of the sofa will also light the tete-a-tete. the foyer table and chairs might help visualize. entering the room will show two distinct areas and offer easy access to both. please get that tv off the mantle and put some artwork up there. sacrifice one lower bookcase cabinet for wood. mount the tv, lower, on the wall above the eames chair and have it swing out diagonally in the corner when viewing.

31. Abby from the garden says:

If you moved the chairs closer together ( in the middle example) would there be room for the Eames chair angled out from the corner of the FP wall?

32. I really am not fond of a Eames chair in such a small traditional room. They really belong in much larger rooms or dens. Despite the comfort, I see the Eames chair as a bit of a fetish—for what is really ugly and very mid century modern. Trust me, I have been to the Eames exhibit in Sacramento, so I really don’t have a hate on. I would nix those big antique trays, too. They look awkward. I’d put books up there. Also, the TV has got to go—I had mine up like this for a year and I felt a bit of my soul DIE. I took back my traditional mantel and put a much smaller TV on a small table off to the side. There was a grumble for about a minute, then everyone adapted. I gave the big TV to my son. Your house is perfect—this room is not. Keep working on it. However, I believe it won’t work until the chair and the TV goes.

O.K., But you don’t like my kitchen cabinet either!! LOL, so I’m afraid our tastes in general for design are far apart. I also see the Eames chair as a classic. Popular yes! But with reason. 🙂 The TV stays. It’s a matter of form never preceding function in a house. I’m sure I’ll get it right (for me, probably not for you, lol). ~ karen!

• not true, Karen—I seriously drool over your house and you. You are truly amazing. Not only that, you can handle all of our comments with aplomb.
        Thanks for letting us put in our two bits. The fact is we would all love to live by you and or have you near us.

Oh stop, lol. It’s O.K.! I’d be doing something completelyyyyyy wrong if *everyone* liked everything I did. It’s O.K.! ~ karen

33. Karen says:

Embrace the asymmetrical & put the sofa at an angle? Might buy you enough room to keep the Eames chair.

34. Liza says:

The problem is the sectional is too big for the room – you just don’t need that much sofa. I would keep the Eames chair where it is so you have your cozy spot next to the fireplace, then I would get the roll arm sofa and face it toward the fireplace, so you can watch tv – not too much furniture in the room, but all functional for your lifestyle. I really can’t see you with swivel or recliner chairs.

35. Berry says:

Have you considered a chaise/bench/daybed? The kind of thing that is comfy for 2 people to sit on facing either way but has lounge-y arms for sprawling with a glass of wine and dreamily watching the fire. Set it parallel to the fire, and your antique couch could go either opposite or on the wall facing the opening to the room. And depending on the size of the antique couch, your eames chair might fit in a new corner.

36. Berry says:

I might move the TV too, but not for design reasons. It’s better ergonomics to have it lower. I’d be sorely tempted to position an automated dropdown screen over the entryway for a super huge screen. I had one a couple houses ago, and it made for a fabulous movie night. (I also had the lazyboy recliner stadium seating sofa with cupholders which was comfy but such an eyesore! )

I do much prefer a lower television but it’s not an easy feat in this room! ~ karen

• Berry says:

Nope, not a bit! 😉 Other than a dropdown projection screen the only option I came up with is over the wood for the fire, but that limits sofa sprawling options for TV watching. Well, ok, you can actually center a tiny antique loveseat in the entryway and put the TV where the pictures currently hang. It makes for an odd flow of traffic, but my auntie had a similar entryway between dining and living room and it worked. Requires an antique loveseat with a lovely backside and doesn’t seem like your style, but you *could* do it.

37. Sondra says:

I have not read all of the comments so forgive if someone else suggested this. Why not a couple of ottomans rather than room crowding chairs in front of the fireplace, smaller sofa by all means and move the favorite Eames chair to the other end of the room? Maybe even an antique fire bench rather than chairs in front of the fireplace. The height of chairs could also block the view of the fireplace. One thing I learned a long time ago you have to be careful when placing furniture near doorways that make the whole entrance uninviting or visually blocked off or people are uncomfortable entering the room so no sofas across the narrow room.

Hi Sondra. 🙂 I’ve tried 2 ottomans in front of the fireplace. I love ottomans! The problem is I want the chairs there to curl up and read and listen to music. Curling up in an ottoman mainly involves perching, lol. ~ karen!

38. Larissa says:

Our living rooms are very similar in shape, and like you, I tried my furniture a hundred ways to Monday and ended up with your plan #4. We use a loveseat instead of a sofa because you wouldn’t be able to get in the room since it’s so narrow if you used a sofa. Our TV is over the fireplace too, not my favorite, but it works. Since there is a large corridor behind the loveseat, we have a set of swivel rockers and footstool against the back wall with a sofa table for holding cups of afternoon tea.

I sure hope you can find a solution that works for you.

39. Oriah says:

Hmmm…..i like the last layout the best. You should keep the Eames, buy it a matching friend, store the Eames ottoman, and move the grouping closer together so it floats in the room. That way, you can watch the fireplace or tv from the sofa or swivel the chairs around. I have a weird living room too and basically did the same thing and it made the space so cozy.

40. Sarah Baranek says:

Place 2 couches perpendicular to fireplace w/ coffee table between them [maybe]. These couches would have recliner options, could only be love seat length if too big as a couch. Put your Eames chair near the window to utilize natural light to read. Eames is far away from fire, but you could see it and get all homey that way. Now you just have to look for another Eames chair so you have your 2 chair idea, or just have the one…
    Plenty of seating, recliner options and possibility for 2 chairs…

I think you think this room is much bigger than it is, lol. I couldn’t fit 2 sofas in front of the fire no matter how short or narrow. I wish it would work, 2 facing sofas are my favourite layout. But … no can do. ~ karen!

41. Jane says:

So if you don’t like to dump the sofa – dump the chairs and get 2 sofas? No other stuff just 2 sofas and a table between or a nest at the end? then live with it for 3 months and see what you need to add back……… or a sofa in front of the fire and the two chairs back to back or a chaise long? That can be move into a more sociable place when you have many guests? No idea if that would fit but just thought I’d stick my 10 bob in for good measure!!! Good luck….

42. Laura Bee says:

Have you considered putting the Eames where the built-in Billy bookcases are?

In my dining room? Wouldn’t fit. ~ k!

• Laura Bee says:

No, the foyer? I am thinking of the picture in Style at Home with the sheepskin chair and bookcases.
        I can’t keep up with your rearranging lol.

Ohhhh, those bookcases are now ripped apart and part of the dining room bookcases. 🙂 That room is now the room with the marble tulip table and gold gilded chairs, white lacquer buffet and crystal chandelier. No room for the chair in there. :/ ~ karen!

43. Jo says:

I’m including an image from Milieu magazine Winter 2018 because on page 22 there’s a swivel chair there that brought you and your living room layout to mind. Plus, I love me a swivel chair. But then I thought “the dimensions look a bit small here, arms not plush enough, back not high enough, maybe a bit too narrow – not ‘comfy’ enough for what Karen wants. Then I thought “why Doesn’t Karen just make some to her own specs?” You have the tools (and the freakish but appreciated energy for a billion projects). It’s just wood/nails/batting/upholstery…and some swivel mechanism – those manufacturers have to get them Somewhere. And, You made those fabulous one’s on your patio. So what say you? Make some stuff.

44. Jo says:

p.s. They could be more squarish too….

45. Barb says:

If you check out Sylvan in Toronto they can custom make a sofa for you. I know they come in standard lengths of 72″ 84″ & 96″ but once you get a visual on what will work for you then check them out I’m sure they will help you find the one. They could possibly make exactly the right size chair for you too. I don’t work for them I just own one of the rolled arm sofas from them & it’s perfect for me. I feel your pain getting a room to feel “just right” it a challenge.

46. Deborah Burns says:

How about putting the Eames chair in the entry?

Re-do your entry, remove the table (I can’t quite remember the designers name) the other 2 chairs and put the Eames chair in a good corner with a window, a table and lamp.

I loved your entry way with the shelves, maybe add more shelves and turn your entry into a library entry!

Um, well I already have a dining room that’s a library so I think it might be library overkill to have 2 of those types of rooms in one very VERY small house, lol.:) I love the foyer. It’s perfect for me. I’m not willing to you know, turn my whole house upside down to make the chair work. :/ ~ karen!

47. Jane Baker says:

So why can’t you put two sofas and keep your Eames chair? If you put a sofa on either side of the fireplace facing each other, and the Eames at the end facing the fireplace, you can easily watch television without cranking your neck and still get heat funneled between the two sofas right at you from the fireplace. Your sectional will be too wide by far to use. You would need two small, narrow sofas. (I’ve got my eye on a couple at Scan Design.) but you could break apart your sectional and move the pieces across from each other just to see what it would look like. Technically, flow should still be excellent. A very small, elegant throw rug in the middle would pull it all together and still not hide the floors.
    I have attached a quick work up but didn’t want to take the time to move the couches closer to the fireplace. I think they would have to move down about six inches or so.

With that, there’s actually no way to get in the room, lol. There’s about 1′ at the edge of the sofa near the entrance that you’d have to squeeze through. Then from there you’d have a little less than a foot to maneuver around the Eames ottoman. 🙂 I like couches facing each other but the room size doesn’t allow for it. ~ karen!

48. Barbara says:

So curious to see what you do. What about a riff on version 2? Sofa on wall. Move Eames chair to corner on other side of doorway (kind of where your lamp and end table are now). You will be able to see the television and fireplace. A floor lamp will make it cozy for reading. Then either add the swivel chairs on either side of the fireplace or just get one chair to put where the Eames is now.

That is a layout I’ve considered. The only thing that hurts it is the Eames footstool. The chair, with footstool (which the chair absolutely must have) is veryyyyy long. Like love seat long! ~ karen

49. Elizabeth says:

Could you move the sectional sofa closer to the fireplace, leaving space between the wall and the back of the sofa? You could put a sofa table behind it? Not sure it would work from the photos, but might make it more cozy.

I had my room exactly like that up until a few months ago. If you look back at any older pictures you can see it. It made accessing the shutters very hard and made the room feel a bit squished. A slightly narrower sofa table would help with both those things. 🙂 ` karen!

50. Phyllis Kraemer says:

Don’t give the Eames chair a thought…there are many of us who would simply LOVE to babysit him for you!