Before we go any further I need to let you know I do not like Easter decorating. Easter decorations are cute. I generally don't do cute. Or pastels. What I do like however, are Peeps. Not to eat mind you, just to look at. I find them sickeningly sweet. Like most Easter decorations.
Today's project reminds me of something out of "Karen's Kraft Korner!". You know, the kind of crafts I'm talking about. The ones that involve that dry, dusty feeling construction paper and children's scissors. That distinct sound of the scissors cutting the paper is unforgettable.
These Peep Place cards don't actually contain any of those materials, but they do evoke that certain, old time, crafty feeling. That's code for tacky.
But I don't care, I love them.
And for the boys ...
Easter Place Cards
Package of Peeps
Base material (I've used a slice of wood which I got in a box from Dollarama ... you could also use a small rock, square of wood or whatever)
Hot glue gun
Index card (cut it super-small, fold it in half and write person's name on it)
1. Cut/break the skewer to 3 or 4 inches. If you're doing a bunch, it'd be fun to do them all different lengths so your Peeps are all at different heights.
2. Shove the pointy end of the skewer up the Peep's butt.
3. Squeeze a glob of hot glue onto your base surface.
4. Stick the end of the skewer into the blob of glue. Add a bit more glue around the base of the skewer.
5. While it's still hot, shove a tiny bit of moss around the glue to cover it up. Plus it kindda looks like a nest.
6. If you're doing the "boy" Peep, cut some of the skewer up, run a line of hot glue along the Peep's head and stick the bits of skewer on. Don't try to stick the skewers into his head. You'll just mush his head and make it look like he was in a bad accident.
7. Run a line of hot glue where you want the "name" to go and stick it on.
8. Don't forget to breathe.
9. You're done.
If you have these on your table will it be screaming "Classy affair! Classy affair!". No. It will not. Will it scream "You're sitting at the table of a super-cool, hipster". Definitely not. It will scream cute however. Not having Easter dinner? Not a problem. I did a little grouping of these at all different heights on a table and it looked GREAT.
Just so you're forewarned (don't you hate it when people don't forewarn you of things?) Peeps are all attached together when you buy them. So when you pull them apart, all of the middle Peeps won't have any wings! They're horrible, mutant looking things. The only useable Peeps are the ones on the end. And even those peeps only have one wing! So every package of Peeps only has 2 useable Peeps, unless you'd like to construct Peep wings out of construction paper. The dry, dusty type that kindegarden.
Click below to hear the sweet song of a real Easter chick!
→Like to Sweat, Swear and do Stuff? GET MY POSTS emailed to you 3 times a week←