Here’s the thing about side dishes and appetizers.
They should be easy. Why? Because I say so. My theory pretty much ends there. I think it’s a good one though.
This quick polenta dish is perfect for either an appetizer or a side dish. AND it’s easy.
All you need is a tube of polenta (doesn’t that sound appetizing), 2 Portobello mushrooms, 1 red onion, balsamic vinegar and some goat’s cheese.
The fella doesn’t like this concoction. But the fella doesn’t like mushrooms. I on the other hand, HATE mushrooms. So it would make sense that I love this.
There’s something wrong with one of us. It’s probably me. I can be difficult. Unlike this appetizer.
Gather your food stuff.
Dice your onion and cleaned mushroom.
Cook onions then mushrooms.
Serve on warmed polenta, top with goat’s cheese.
[print_this]Polenta Rounds with Portobello Mushrooms
Makes 12 rounds
Tube of Polenta
2 Portobello mushrooms
1 red onion
1. Clean mushrooms and remove gills. Cut into a small dice.
2. Dice an equal amount of red onion.
3. Cook red onion in non stick pan ovemedium heat until soft and translucent.
4. Turn heat up to high and add mushrooms.
5. Stir and cook until mushrooms are browned and soft. (5-10 minutes)
6. Add in a big glug of balsamic vinegar. You aren’t making a sauce here, your just making a glaze. Your mushrooms and onions will instantly caramelize from the high heat of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat when most (but not all) of the balsamic is gone.
7. Remove mushrooms and onions to a bowl and cover with tin foil or a dish towel to keep warm.
8. Turn pan heat down to medium and fry polenta rounds until golden on both sides.
9. Spoon mushroom and onion mixture over warm polenta rounds. Top with crumbled goat’s cheese. Broil if desired.
For some reason a lot of people think food needs to be difficult to taste good. It doesn’t. Honey. Honey isn’t difficult. And it’s delicious.
I got this “recipe” from my friend Michelle who understands food doesn’t have to be difficult. It can be. But it doesn’t have to be, to be good.
Fair warning on the fact that tomorrow my theory may change entirely. I might decide only difficult things are worth eating. Things with 72 ingredients including things like double charged avocado foam and Sparrows feet.
Like I say. Unlike this appetizer, I can be difficult.