This year’s DIY Pen/Pencil Holder.

Every once in a while I come up with something so smart, so cute, so useful, so great I can’t even believe how amazing I am.

Then the fella walks by and says, I don’t like it.

And just like that I’m locking myself in the nearest closet to pout and second guess myself.

Although I don’t tell him that because  … to do so would be admitting defeat.  And … it would be stupid.  But I did second guess myself. And the truth is, to make anyone second guess themselves, there has to a teeny, tiny bit of self doubt niggling away at the back of their  brain (behind the part that stores the first number from your locker combination in highschool) already.

The fella, who thinks he knows me better than I do, said it wasn’t “me”.  It was too kitchy.  Too … stupid.

You aren’t posting about that are you?

Well. Yes, that was the plan.

You shouldn’t.

Oh.

So here I am posting about something the fella doesn’t like, but I do, although I agree with him that it could be better.

The thing is … it’s as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

plus

equals

It is kitchy.  A little bit like something you’d find in a 1970’s crafting book with two hippies wearing brown and gold crocheted vests on the cover.

But since putting it up and can’t stand the thought of taking it down.  It eliminated the pencil / pen holder I had on my desk all last year.  Which I loved, but always looked a tiny bit messy and took up desk space.

PLUS, after I took these pictures I realized the small notebook I use every day to jot things down fit inside the pocket perfectly.

So while I’ll agree I could, and probably will,  improve on this (I’d prefer white Levi’s for instance with a painted white embroidery hoop) I still love it and the fella can suck it.  The last crafting adventure he embarked on was Crazy Gluing my finger together.  What does he know.

jean-title-2

So the pocket stays.  Because …  it’s as handy as a pocket on a wall.

1. korrine says:

Pretty darn cute, Karen. I am making board balm and beeswax covered fabric this year.

2. Carolet says:

Love it! Always trust your intuition…you know, guys don’t have it, bless them.

3. tajicat says:

How cute! 🙂

4. Such a cute project! My daughters would love this for their rooms!!

5. Sara says:

Karen – I’d love to make this project on the weekend (or even tomorrow if I take a ‘snow day’ – where does one buy an embroidery hoop (and what size did you use for yours)?

Sara – Sewing/notions stores have embroidery hoops. You may even find them at Walmart. Second hand stores might have them too. Mine is 10″ across, but you need whatever size hoop will accommodate your pocket. Smaller pocket means you can use a smaller hoop. ~ karen!

6. marie says:

LOVE!!!! what a great idea!!!!

7. Janelle says:

Neato idea! You may have started a craze. Once this hits Pinterest, dudes will be walking all over North America and beyond with one ass cheek hanging out of a perfect, embroidery hoop sized circle in the back of their trousers.

8. Susan in TX says:

LOL @ “something you’d find in a 1970′s crafting book with two hippies wearing brown and gold crocheted vests on the cover.”

I have THAT book!

9. Shannon says:

Great Idea, my 12 year old carries her cell phone and I-Pod touch in her back pocket, I love this as a holder for those items in her room, she could propbably charge them right in the pocket.

10. Lush says:

OMG!! I LOVE THIS!! Yes it might be perceived as twee ish but who cares??
    Practical, reuse, functional & cute. All good in my books.
    Put it on Pinterest & watch the copies happen LOL

11. Jay says:

Possibly the fella doesn’t like it because his Paleo diet is making him so sad he fails to recognise the awesomeness if it.

I bet if he ate some pasta and cheese he’d love it.

12. Lisa Thomas says:

Love it! Going to make some myself. I need more desk space anyway. It’s functional and that’s what counts.

13. Susan says:

Next thing you know, the Fella will be proclaiming there are only four TRUE wall-hangings. You’re right, he’s wrong, it’s a great idea and looks good. Print out and frame all of these comments and hang it next to the pocket. Next time he tries to tell you what to post, lead him by the hand to it and point.

14. Lyse says:

What I am amazed at is that you found a way to get rid of those wooden rings. Good idea. I had some given to me a few years ago and been wondering what to do with it since I don’t like embroidery and i’m past the smell sachets that was the “fad” for a while. And i agree to make it more modern I would go with the white jeans with nice embroidery that someone else did.

15. Jenna says:

Your fella is an idiot. Love the pocket and think it was a brilliant idea.

16. beth says:

Awesome… hows that for eighties… have you seen the rag rugs made from denim… can’t wait to see what you do with the legs… neck pillows any one?

17. Elen Grey says:

I love the idea. I might give it a contemporary feel by spray painting that hoop in a pewter grey or charcoal or matte black and possibly using one of those eye-popping colors from HUE’s leggings/jeggings/skinny jeans/whatever. I’d have to experiment. 😀

18. Katie says:

Karen, you are a Godsend. Just discovered you this minute (while Googling a question I had about WD-40 for a project I’m in the middle of that is making me NUTS). And I went from pulling my hair out to laughing out loud in, oh, say 10 seconds.

Thanks for all of this. YOU are a (or as some would insist on saying these days, “an”) hilarious, clever girl. 🙂

Thanks Katie! I’m glad you found me. And my site. More my site I guess. I normally post every day except Sundays. Not all that often about WD-40. ~ karen!