I Encountered a Massive Snake Last Week. Here’s How That Went.

If this picture scares you, you might want to avoid the video I’m going to show you next.

An Eastern Milk Snake

I should tell you I’m not afraid of snakes.  I don’t run and scream when I see them or cover my eyes when they show up in a movie. I imagine the only time a snake would truly scare me is if it I woke up with one wrapped around my neck. And even then it would have to be doing something weird like yelling at me in Latin or something.

I’m not afraid of snakes, however I sure can be startled by them.

Here’s what happened.  I skipped out of work about an hour early last week to go and weed my garden. The plan was to rip out a few weeds then return home where I could get back to my job of staring at my computer with a blank look on my face.

Around half an hour into my weeding I got to the point where I was in my meditative weeding state. That’s where your eyes glaze over and you realize you’re ripping out everything near you fingers whether it’s a weed or not.  Rocks, sticks, mice, fully grown carrots, everything.

Moving into a corner of the garden behind my tomato plants something snapped me out of my meditative state.

It was a snake tangled in my fence, hanging from the wire like a used condom.

Here is what happened next.

It was an Eastern Milk Snake and it was easily 4′ long. They aren’t venomous. They don’t bite.  Well they do bite, but only if you really aggravate them.  Like if  you forced the snake watch a  kid do that floss swish dance for hours on end I’m sure the kid would get bit.   At the very least it would get a good tongue lashing (in Latin).

Have a ssssssssssssuper weekend.

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

I found a snake tangled in my garden fencing. And then I tried to get it out all with one hand holding my camera (insert rolling eyeballs here). Here\'s how it went.

1. Ken says:

June 9, 2019. Earlier this evening, I found a 4 foot long black racer tangled up in my deer netting around the garden. I picked it up by the tail and cut the netting around it to get it loose. He was not very cooperative and tried striking a couple times but with no success. Racers are very fast but not poisonous. Unfortunately, some of that netting was constricting the snake very tightly in several spots. It seem the netting sunk into the scales? So I can’t get the netting off in several places with a set of scissors and one hand. I think it is going to take a scalpel and some very delicate cutting. In the morning, I will see if the Vet will give it a shot at getting the netting off. I imagine the Vet will find it a nice change of pace. At least I hope so.

I am going to remove the netting from the fence and simply drape over my plants. I don’t want to be cutting snakes out of the netting on a regular basis. This black runner has been around for quite awhile and lives under the house sidewalk. I hope he appreciates all this effort even though I was the one to put the netting up in the first place.

2. Sonja says:

You never cease to amaze me! Setting a SNAKE free IN sandals WITH beautifully polished toenails! What is wrong with you….as far as the snake part!?

3. May says:

Loved this. While you were desnaking, I might have had my encounter of an Arrowhead worm. Please visit kidfromstatenisland on Youtube and take a look at my video. Have you ever SEEN ONE? They are horrible. I was so creeped out for days.

Most of my snakes here in panhandle FL are venomous. Like the 6 ft. diamondback I was about to step on who had eaten 2 squirrels. The only time ALL the 7-8 dogs came at once (we were all out together), when I screamed. We also had a 5 footer, and a couple of water moccasins.

4. Kathy Bates says:

I loved your snake story!!! And your garden looks wonderful! No wonder you don’t want to sit at the computer all day, and how nice that you have such a lovely place to get away to!!!

It’s my summer therapy. Which is ironic because right about now it’s my source of anxiety, lol. SO much to do to get it all harvested and ready for winter. ~ karen!

5. Etta says:

Not afraid of snakes. But found on in my son’s crib. Killed it.

6. Jane says:

I have to say, condos must be MUCH bigger in your neck (neck? Hmmm) of the woods. I’ve never seen one, used or otherwise, near that size, draped over anything! 😁
    Great story/video!

7. Katie Rush says:

Thank you.

8. Kelli the konfused says:

Hmm…I gots no sneaky snake video showing up for me…I was very confused trying to figure out what came after “Here’s what happened next:” because in my world…that would be a bit fat nothin.

I was like, Wait, what the–??? Well all righty then. It’s like a weird TAODS mystery story or somethin. In Latin. :-\

Hi Kelli! I’m not sure what has happened. Some people aren’t seeing the video. For some it’s because they have an ad blocker installed on their computers. Sometimes if you reload the site, it will show up. You could try that. Too bad. It’s a good video! 🙁 ~ karen!

9. Kasey Brinlee says:

Thank you for your kindness toward that snake! I would have done the exact same thing. I am assuming that the two of you are new best friends and it will repay you one day by eating other creatures that you would have eventually needed to rescue!

10. Rockelle Meagher says:

“Like a used condom”. Karen you are a genius, I love your words. When is your next novel coming out!?! Memoir, anything!

Oooooh, I don’t have time to write any more than I already do. Most of my days are taken up with writing love letters to Idris Elba so … that is very time consuming. ~ karen!

11. Gaeyl Kanter says:

Video was great. Snakes are an important part of our eco system . The thing was just scaring you as part of its defense system . I guess his getting entangled in the fence is like a person so intent on eating their fast food while driving that an accident is created . Thanks for helping it out.

12. Ryn says:

Your video had me cracking up because I know I’d have the exact same reaction that you did lol, and I’d end up saving it in the end.

13. Dana says:

Impressive, Karen! Oh hell no. If I helped that snake out, I would wear gloves. Im terrified of snakes but not one iota about spiders. He/she looked alot longer than 4 feet. Was it a poisonous snake?

14. Daniel says:

Although I now live in Hawaii, which is snake free, I did grow up in New York City (Staten Island) where I would catch garter snakes as a kid. Moving around the country I had my share of run-ins mostly with rattlers, cottonmouths and water moccasins. One encounter I will never forget was running into a King Cobra while hiking in Thailand. We did care for a friends albino king snake while he was deployed, her name was Elvira, which required us to feed her a live mouse. I didn’t really care for that. While stationed at U Tapao RTNAB in Thailand we had a very large boa in a caged area besides a break area next to the flightline. She was fed a chicken once a week and people would bet on when the chicken would be eaten. I always felt sorry for the snake and chicken.

15. Judy says:

I grew up in Zambia where we had a black mamba about 10 feet from the kitchen door. Nope – we didn’t try to save it. We moved to the Okanagan valley in British Columbia (Canada) where we have rattlesnakes. Yup – snakes freak me out, even the little 4 inch garter snakes…can’t seem to forget the black mamba…..I’m in awe of you Karen.

A lot of the people up at my community garden are from Zimbabwe and they’re ALL terrified of snakes. Men and women. I think it comes from living in a country where they can drop out of the trees and kill you, lol. ~ karen!

16. Stephbo says:

JESUS CRIPES!!!!!! I respect snakes and their role in our ecosystem, but they seriously make me want to hurl. I’m much better if they stay hidden in their own area and don’t come into mine. * shudder*

17. Alena says:

Not going to watch the video, I am absolutely snake-o-phobic. I would have a heart attack if I found snake tangled up in my fence and if I – miraculously – survived, I would call somebody to get that thing off the fence and deposit it someplace very far from my house (to make sure I will never see it again).

18. brenda says:

I’m with Marilyn … nope no never … in my first year of gardening I had to stop going to my garden for a month to get my breath back after seeing my garden hose laying in wait for me at the garden gate

19. attygreen13 says: