Take Your Hand OFF That Pumpkin Spice Candle Right Now.

I have what I think might be an alarming and confusing message for you all.

It is not fall.

So just take your hand off the pumpkin spice candle and BACK AWAY.

That’s right.  Keep going.  Light the lemongrass one.

Honestly.  Why are we all such dingbats about this?  We dream of summer, long for summer, write poems about summer but once it’s here we think You Know What?  I really like flannel.  I want to put on my damn flannel.  Why, WHY, WHY summer, are you holding my flannel hostage.  Then around the middle of August people snap and start lighting apple pie candles and wrapping themselves in sheepskin rugs. While wearing flip flips.

IF YOU ARE STILL SCRATCHING MOSQUITO BITES IT’S TOO EARLY TO DECORATE WITH PUMPKINS.

It’s going to come.  Actual fall.  On September 22nd in the Northern Hemisphere as a matter of fact.  But that’s just a date.  Fall might come earlier or it might come later.

I understand retailers have muddied the waters a bit and many of us have actually lost our natural, seasonal compasses. It happens.

So in case you’re a bit iffy on when it’s actually fall here are some tips.

10 No-Fail Signs It’s Fall.

1. Instagram is filled with shots of people pretending they’re happily picking apples even though they just had a huge fight in the car on the way to the orchard and never even thought of picking apples before the invention of Instagram.
  2. Costco is sold out of all their Christmas wrapping paper.
  3. You drop kick the hanging baskets you stopped watering 3 months ago into the garbage.
  4. You dip into your pajama drawer for the warm ones and they have that drawer smell.
  5. You stop shaving above the knee.  And below the knee. Bully through the week of itchiness then happily revel in skin that feels like a plushie for 6 months.
  6. You start to forget your neighbours’ names again.
  7. You spend 4 nights in a row Pinning wintery craft things like whimsical cross stitch patterns you’ll never actually do because – binge watching season.
  8. Your hair is staticky and you broke a nail making the bed.
  9. You realize yet again, you look dorky, not adorable in hats.
  10. Black nail polish.

O.K. so  now that you feel more comfortable in recognizing the season of fall on your own, you can enjoy this last long weekend of the summer.

Enjoy it, do something summery, eat a hamburger, skateboard on a boardwalk, get sprayed by a skunk.

Just back away from the pumpkin spiced candle.

Have a good last long weekend of the summer.

→Follow me on Instagram where I’m sure to go apple picking.←

Take Your Hand OFF That Pumpkin Spice Candle Right Now.

1. stacy says:

Bahahahahah. Oh,I Love it. Thank you for all the little reminders.

2. Elen G says:

Numbers 1, 4 & 9. By the time I start thinking about a Pumpkin Spice Latte, they’ve moved on to Peppermint Mocha whatevs. It’s why my fave drink is a Flat White.

3. Laura Bee says:

On the way back home from our friend’s cottage yesterday, I saw my first pile of pumpkins for sale at a farm we passed. I momentarily thought of stopping to get a few for the porch…thank goodness I didn’t, you would have my hide. Hahaha!

4. Laura Bee says:

On the way back home from our friend’s cottage yesterday, I saw y first pile of pumpkins for sale at a farm we passed. I momentarily thought of stopping to get a few for the porch…thank goodness I didn’t, you would have my hide. Hahaha!

5. Dana says:

I put out my indoor fall decor yesterday! My porch still has summer decor. I dont want the neighbors to know Im a nut. 🤣

6. Hannah says:

Hello Karen, while e I agree with the sentiment, in the Peace Country, it’s definitely fall. The leaves are turning, I’m covering my pumpkins to keep them from frost and I have saved approximately 1000000000000000000 poppy seeds. Speaking of seeds, do you ever take seeds from random blog fans? I would love to send you a packet of these stunning poppy seeds, if you have a p.r. mailbox or something? I don’t normally save them, I just let them reseed themselves, but I was inspired by your adorable seed packet post.

There’s a heat warning in Ontario right now. Over 40 today. Ack. I have been sent seeds as a matter of fact. :) It was a reader who sent me the Glass Gem corn I grew several years ago. If you subscribe to my emails the P.O. Box is at the very bottom of the email. :) ~ karen!

7. Kelly P says:

Agreed. I live in Phoenix, AZ where it won’t feel like fall until mid-November. We are weeks from needing a sweater, so I think it’s a bit early for the pumpkin spice latte. To be honest, I am always in a hurry for fall because by late August I’m really tired of the 100+ F degree weather. I admit to putting out a few fall decorations in September (No earlier!) In the vain hope that it will somehow bring cooler weather.

8. Darla Marion Hunt says:

But what about the pumpkin-spice flavored coffee syrup. Surely that’s allowed?

9. Peggy says:

Thank you, Karen for bringing some common sense to the fall madness. I refused to go to the grocers yesterday because it was 90 with feels like of 96; in NE Ohio. NOT FALL! It is fall in IG land, but nowhere else! Pumpkin Spice Latte? I’m still enjoying my iced macchiato cafés. It is summer until I put my shorts, tank tops and flip flops away.

10. Renee Ryz says:

It always makes me feel anxious like I am behind or something, especially when the stores seem to gloss right by Thanksgiving into Christmas. I host Thanksgiving every year, and it almost makes me feel silly to put up my little turkey decorations. To me, Christmas season starts the day AFTER. I love fall, but I love summer more. This year not so much as I lost my Mom in June, and this summer has been full of heartache & awful, but each season brings it’s own renewal. I am a complete sucker for all the pumpkin spice items – I even have a tshirt that lists pumpkin spice items in a column, and I have tried pretty much all of them – HOWEVER I will pull that pumpkin candle out, only when I have to wear a sweater not before!

11. Tina says:

And for all you who are screaming “NO Xmas stuff”, I went shopping at the fabric store for the makings for a new wreath idea and got NOTHING! It’s time to start making Xmas stuff if you plan on using them this year!

12. Amy in StL says:

It’s cute how you think we don’t need to put on Mosquito Repellent to go pick pumpkins in late October.

13. LeAnn says:

I LOVE summer, and hate that it’s cooling off, but I will admit I’ve been feeling the itch to put up Halloween decorations. I decided to start putting out the fake crows on my roof one at a time, like it’s the movie “The Birds.”

14. Avril says:

ITS NOT FALL, until all the leaves are on the ground and the cold wind is blowing and there might be a chance of snow! Or, it’s October! For the past two years we have mostly missed summer here in B.C. interior due to the wildfires. Lots of smoke both years, so I’m sure not ready for it to be Fall yet! Where or where is the wonderful sunshine???????

15. Suzette says:

Summer is too short in Ontario. I say that we should lobby to repackage September! No fall until Oct!

16. MindyK says:

THANK YOU! I shudder every time I walk past the scented pinecones and pumpkin spice display at the grocery store. As if! It is still 90 degrees outside! Fall is nice and all, but it doesn’t hold a candle to summer–no matter how luscious the candle.

17. Teddee Grace says:

But I don’t like summer! I dread it! I don’t garden…I live in a one-bedroom apartment with only an a/c in the bedroom and I often swelter through days and nights that are getting hotter and hotter in the foothills of the Rockies despite what the deniers say. I pine for pines, loaded with snow…and those first really cool days…and nights…during which I am not throwing off the covers then grabbing for them again because I’ve got the one a/c down to 64F in the bedroom but the 88F in the living room tends to seep in…and the aspens turning golden are such a welcome relief. And I love the smell of spice! I use it all year round and don’t care if it’s pumpkin spice, apple spice or just spice spice! Some of us are just fall and winter people and would be happy if we had those seasons year ’round. Bring it on!

18. Maria says:

Thank you, Karen! You speak my mind. I wish everyone would read your post. And I promise, I will not put up my Fall wreath until it is Fall. haha

19. Diane Walters says: