How to Make Homemade Hamburgers!
My Way.

Delicious, juicy, charbroiled burgers don\'t just HAPPEN.  You have to make \'em. Here\'s how!

Burger, burger, burger!  Take your homemade hamburgers to the next juicy, char broiled level by just tweaking a few things.  Mmmmmmmmmm.

Delicious juicy loaded cheeseburger on a brioche bun with onion rings on waxed paper and wood board.

(Read one of my most popular DIYS.  A DIY Charcuterie board. )

There’s a lot of debate over what’s better for you:  Homemade hamburgers or frozen.    No there isn’t.  There’s no debate at all.  I just thought it’d be good, as a professional blogger, to open this post with some sort of controversy.  Ya know?  To grab your attention and make it seem like I’d done some investigative work and research.   I didn’t.

Skip right to the recipe.

WAIT! I did kind of!  I’ve spent a lot of nights eating hamburgers over the course of my life.  I’ve made them every which way possible and I can tell you the best way to make them involves two things.  A few additional ingredients to the actual ground beef (sacrilegious to most I know) and being as gentle as possible with mixing and forming the meat.

Yes, yes, I know. You’re disagreeing.  . You’re  throwing your arms in the air and cursing the day you started reading this post written by this hamburger idiot.

Everyone calm down. Seriously.

So, to make some super-delicious hamburgers you need a little more than just a mess of ground beef.  For starters you can grind your own beef with a blade or cross rib roast.  I show you how to do it, if you’re interested, right here. Although I’m completely insane and even I only rarely grind my own beef.

With a few ingredients you probably already have around the kitchen you can make a great, big, juicy hamburger tonight!   You have imported Asian truffle foam rooted by a one-eyed panda bear, right?  (canned is fine)

Just kidding.  Read on for the recipe!

How to Make Homemade Hamburgers

1.  Add one egg (yolk only) to 1 lb of ground beef.

2. Add finely diced onion.

Finely diced onions in metal measuring cup over bowl with ground beef.

TIP:  Do all your mixing gently.  You want to work the meat as little as possible.

3.  A blast of ketchup.

Heinz ketchup dripping into bowl with ground beef, egg and diced onions.

4. In goes a glob of Dijon mustard.

Dijon mustard in metal tablespoon hovering over green bowl with ground beef and other hamburger ingredients.

5. Squirt in a splash of Worcestershire sauce and gently mix.

Splash of Worcestershire sauce dripping into green bowl with all other hamburger ingredients.

6. Add in 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs (just enough to help with binding) and a generous dose of salt and pepper.

Shaking man shaped salt shaker into green bowl with unmixed hamburger ingredients.

And yes. I love my little man, Fred and Friends salt and pants shakers too.

7. Gently form into patties. DON’T squash them.  Gently form them.  Squashing is for bugs, not hamburgers.

Hand formed hamburger patties in between layers of waxed paper on white tile countertop.

Update:  For everyone in apoplectic fits over adding 1/4 of a cup of dry bread crumbs and the egg yolks this does not make it meatloaf.  It does not.   It really is still a hamburger.  The tiny amounts of these two things  act as a binder so your hamburger doesn’t fall apart on the BBQ.

Tune in next week for the next big debate:  What’s better for you?  Frozen or homemade ice cubes.

How to Make Homemade Hamburgers!<br>My Way.

Yeah, yeah, you think it's a meatloaf recipe. It's not. Trust me. You're making a hamburger.
3.93 from 14 votes
Print Pin Rate
Author: The Art of Doing Stuff

Ingredients

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup finely very finely diced red onion. (you want it so small that once it cooks it disappears)
  • 1 Tbsp ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp dijon
  • 2 shakes Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs just enough to aid in binding
  • salt & pepper

Instructions

• Mix together all ingredients gently. You don't want to mush and mash it.
  • Form into patties.
  • BBQ or cook in cast iron pan until done to your liking.
  • Top with your favourite toppings!

Questions & Answers

• Isn’t this really a meatloaf recipe? Um, no.  It isn’t.  But I can see the confusion.  Just make them. Trust me on this.
  • What are the best hamburger buns?  I used to be on a sesame seed bun kick, but now I only use brioche buns.  I’m obsessed with them!
  • What if I want a homemade fermented, New York style, Jewish deli pickle to go with my burger?  No problem.  Just click here for my classic fermented dill pickle recipe, based on fermenting God, Sandor Katz’s pickles.
  • Should you put lettuce on hamburgers?  According to the late Anthony Bourdain?  No. He has a point. If you don’t eat the burger immediately the lettuce gets soft, warm and wilty.
  • Can these be frozen?  Of course!  Just mix the ingredients, shape them into burgers and freeze them individually on wax paper.  Once they’re frozen you can stack them and store them.

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

1. rick says:

I am on disability pension I do not have the luxury of having all kinds of exotic ingredients when making hamburgers …does anyone know what to use as a binder when making hamburgers , meaning so that the burgers dot fall apart ? No I don’t want to use eggs because I have no eggs , my burgers are ground beef and vegetables and bread mixed & ground together but when I bake them , they fall apart easily so they are not condusive to putting on a burger , I have spend hours on the net looking for what to use as a binder something to make the ingredients stick together so when you bake cook the burger they don’t fall apart

remember I don’t have any eggs

2. Bel says:

Love the ingredient list! Am making these for lunch 🙂

3. Carmen says:

Was looking for a hamburger recipe and came across this one! Egg and breadcrumbs? So juicy and delicious! I’ll definitely be using this preparation again!!

4. Good start for a meat loaf…………
    77563

5. Jan says:

Best burger I’ve ever had. Thank you for posting this.

6. Shannon says:

These were delicious!

7. Kelly H says:

Ok naysayers – We made these last night and OMG!!!!! Simply the best ever hamburgers. We used fresh chuck roast, trimmed, and ground right before shaping. I followed the recipe exactly, then my husband grilled them outside over charcoal. Holy cow. They were just perfect burgers – nothing fancy, just tasty. The kids went ape over them too. 😀

It isn’t meatloaf unless it has a tomato-sugar glaze. This definitely wasn’t meatloaf. Just char-grilled perfection. MAKE THESE BURGERS!

8. Leslie Fults says:

Interesting… I always use crushed potato chips instead of breadcrumbs & I guess my bbq sauce would replace your dijon, ketchup, & worcestershire…

9. Jan in Waterdown says:

Whew! Just read through many of the earlier comments and I was startin’ to worry there might be a public lynching in downtown Dundas over hamburger vs. meatloaf burger opinions! Thank goodness everyone has calmed down and cooler heads have prevailed and realized that an egg yolk and a few bitty crumbs do not a meatloaf make. Have made my burgers this way for years and it works the best. They also make for some tasty patties fried in a pan with onions and then gravy made from the stuff left in the pan and served over mashed potatoes and green petit pois on the side. OK hungry now.

10. Leah C says:

My favorite way to (very finely) dice onion is in our little electric food chopper. Easy clean-up, no tears, and pieces of onion so tiny I can only taste them, not see them.

11. Renee Rydzewski says:

Just curious why just egg yolk, and not the whole egg?

Hi Renee! Just because you don’t want to add a ton of liquid and if the yolk is the best part of the egg for binding and richness. 🙂 ~ karen!

12. philippe says:

ça a l air très bon je vais essayer ce weekend

13. Meghan G says:

Isn’t meatloaf just an oversized burger anyway? – Trying this recipe tonight, hope they’re still as tasty in 2016.

14. Michele says:

My meatloaf recipe used as burgers. Easier to make as burgers when short on time. Great idea!

15. jk says:

I have a question..when you say “2 shakes Worcestershire sauce” how much are you using the sauce?

Hi jk. When I say two shakes I literally mean two shakes. Just hold the bottle over the mixture and shake it once, then shake it twice. Two squirts. You can’t really go wrong. Even if you added half or double the amount I normally do you’d still be fine. 🙂 ~ karen!

16. Hillary says:

Great! Minus the ketchup; add ritz crumbs instead of bread crumbs though.
    I also have to correct people who are wrong…

17. Tatiana says:

Omg this was sooooo yummy! I ran out of bread crumbs and used stove top stuffing mix in its place and it was delicious!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!

18. Sheri Dinse says:

Made it last night. Fantastic!! Topped the burger with gorgonzola and grilled red onions!

19. Carla says:

How do you mix all the ingredients into all the meat without “over mixing” the meat?

Hi Carla – I’m just careful not to smash everything together. You can use your hands to mix, keeping your fingers apart and sort of tossing things together. ~ karen!

20. Ron says:

No mention of how much ground beef is used in this recipe

21. Karen says:

Hi Karen and everyone!
    I have been making hamburger patties for years and this is the way I was taught to make them.My aunt owned a restaurant here in BC Canada and that’s the way we do it!

22. Amanda says:

Aw that sucks, I’m sorry. Hope it will be up and running soon! Do you have the ingredients/quantity for these burgers listed anywhere?