All the things you should do for fall but never remember to do. A complete list of the tasks you need to do to get ready for fall. Like replacing your weather stripping and eating pie!
The first day that I wear flannel pyjamas to bed marks the official start of fall for me. The next day the fluffy blanket for the sofa comes out, I stop shaving my legs and I start my annual thumbs exercises so in a couple of weeks I’m can quickly scroll past all the perfect-families-in-matching-plaid-picking-apples photos on Instagram.
The shadows are longer, the streets are quieter and I’m hankering for anything made with cheese and potatoes. Last year there aren’t gaggles of kids walking to school, there was just the odd child standing on the street in a mask looking forlorn.
This year things are a bit livelier.
Since I just lit a pumpkin spice candle I’m going to assume it is indeed fall. YAY FALL!! Every season is my favourite season when I’m at the start of it. So hello fall … you’re my favourite.
I even like the home maintenance tasks associated with autumn like raking leaves and stacking firewood. I like them for exactly half an hour and then I want to set the leaves, the firewood and my hair on fire with a pumpkin spice candle. Getting ready for winter can be both gross and exciting so I’ve comprised a list of all the things that you should do to get ready to fall. Both the fun and the not so fun.
Things To Do To Get Ready for Fall
- Clean the gutters.
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Order Firewood.
- Clean Chimney
- Make a batch of chili.
- Buy spicy scented candles. Pumpkin spice, apple spice, smoky spice, you know … any of the spices.
- Replace or clean furnace filter.
- Haul out the blankets for the couch.
- Check foundation for places mice can get in.
- Lumber. Jack. Plaid.
- Replace beer in fridge with whiskey in liquor cabinet.
- Put outdoor cushions away while they’re dry.
- Make a list of the indoor jobs you want to get done before spring. Like binge watching Downton Abbey. Again.
- Good bye ferns, hello mums.
- Pull out the big, fluffy duvet.
- Surround every inch around your house with yard bags and watch as the leaves fall right into them.
- Throw away your razors. It’s hairy season.
- Cover up your outdoor air conditioning unit.
- Empty any ceramic or clay pots outside that are too large to bring indoors. If you don’t they’ll freeze and crack.
- Book an appointment to have your winter tires put on.
- Sign up for a fall class. I’m leaning towards yodelling.
- Make some healthy delicious baked apples, then feed them to someone else and eat an entire pumpkin pie with whipped cream yourself.
- Plant your spring bulbs like tulips, crocus and daffodils.
- Wanna be the hit of the street for Halloween? You’d better start figuring that shit out now. Here’s inspiration.
- Throw away those 3 dead plants you bought in the spring and never planted.
- Can, can, can. Tomatoes, peaches, chili sauce, hot peppers, pickles.
- Ask an elderly or single neighbour if they need help with anything.
- Kids preventing you from getting stuff done? Send them out to play and tell them not to come home until they have at least one bruise.
- Clean out your fridge to make room for the winter cheeses.
- Buy a puzzle. Or do a puzzle online – I use Jigidi.
- Cozy up your porch or front door.This post (photo below) has some inspiration …
- Read all of the classic Charlie Brown football cartoons.
- Haul out the flannel pajamas that have been in hiding for 4 months and now smell like drawer.
- Pumpkin. Spice. Latte.
- Clean your condensate pump if you have one.
All tasks guaranteed to be enjoyable for at least half an hour.
→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←