All the things you should do for fall but never remember to do. A complete list of the tasks you need to do to get ready for fall. Like replacing your weather stripping and eating pie!
The first day the kids are back in school it’s fall. I don’t care what the calendar says. The shadows are longer, the streets are quieter and I’m hankering for anything made with cream, cheese and potatoes. Every season is my favourite season when I’m at the start of it. So hello fall … you’re my favourite.
I even like the home maintenance tasks associated with autumn like raking leaves and stacking firewood. I like them for exactly half an hour and then I want to set the leaves, the firewood and my hair on fire simultaneously. Getting ready for winter can be both gross and exciting so I’ve comprised a list of all the things that you should do to get ready to fall. Both the fun and the not so fun.
Things To Do To Get Ready for Fall
With a few fun ones thrown in
- Clean the gutters.
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Order Firewood.
- Clean Chimney
- Make a batch of chili.
- Buy spicy scented candles. Pumpkin spice, apple spice, smoky spice, you know … any of the spices.
- Replace or clean furnace filter.
- Haul out the blankets for the couch.
- Check foundation for places mice can get in.
- Lumber. Jack. Plaid.
- Replace beer in fridge with whiskey in liquor cabinet.
- Put outdoor cushions away while they’re dry.
- Make a list of the indoor jobs you want to get done before spring. Like binge watching Downton Abbey. Again.
- Good bye ferns, hello mums.
- Pull out the big, fluffy duvet.
- Surround every inch around your house with yard bags and watch as the leaves fall right into them.
- Throw away your razors. It’s hairy season.
- Cover up your outdoor air conditioning unit.
- Empty any ceramic or clay pots outside that are too large to bring indoors. If you don’t they’ll freeze and crack.
- Book an appointment to have your winter tires put on.
- Sign up for a fall class. I’m leaning towards yodelling.
- Make some healthy delicious baked apples, then feed them to someone else and eat an entire pumpkin pie with whipped cream yourself.
- Plant your spring bulbs like tulips, crocus and daffodils.
- Wanna be the hit of the street for Halloween? You’d better start figuring that shit out now. Here’s inspiration.
- Throw away those 3 dead plants you bought in the spring and never planted.
- Can, can, can. Tomatoes, peaches, chili sauce, hot peppers, pickles.
- Ask an elderly or single neighbour if they need help with anything.
- Kids preventing you from getting stuff done? Send them out to play and tell them not to come home until they have at least one bruise.
- Clean out your fridge to make room for the winter cheeses.
- Buy a puzzle.
- Cozy up your porch or front door. This post (photo below) has some inspiration …
- Read all of the classic Charlie Brown football cartoons.
- Haul out the flannel pajamas that have been in hiding for 4 months and now smell like drawer.
- Pumpkin. Spice. Latte.
- Sweet, roll and store outdoor carpets.
- Blow out sprinkler lines.
- Rake, rake, rake. Curse the neighbours tree. Rake again.
- Drain and store hoses
- Divide hostas, lilies, peonies, rhubarb and other overgrown perennials.
- Check and install weather stripping.
- Apply nematodes to lawn for grub control in October.
- Then relax.
All tasks guaranteed to be enjoyable for at least half an hour.
→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←