Last night I made a Reuben sandwich for dinner. I made a Reuben for the first time a few months ago and now I’ve added it to the rotation. It’s delicious. Now what about you? What did you make for dinner last night?
Let me guess. It was something you’ve made 1,732 times before. It was good. But you’ve had it 1,732 times before. You wouldn’t read the same book over and over again would you? And even if you did re-read it (because it was great, or you didn’t remember you had already read it until you were halfway through it) … you wouldn’t do that 1,730 more times.
If you did, someone in your immediate family would likely have you admitted. To a “hospital”. And by hospital I mean an inelegant ward where you’ll be forced to talk about your feelings with strangers who sometimes eat their own scabs.
So let’s try something different.
I’m not saying you have to do anything ridiculously fancy. I’m not saying you should cook with dry ice and tweezers (unless you want to). Just … try something different. Homemade bread, Thai food, fish, whatever. Just don’t make it headcheese.
I swear to God, people who eat headcheese are one gross food item away from being scab eaters.
O.K. let’s get those horrible eating images out of your brain now with these 75 FOOD IDEAS THAT’LL ROCK YOUR KITCHEN!
1. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. 2. Chicken Pot Pie. 3. Avocado Lime Pie 4. Classic French Canadian Tourtiere 5. Chess Pie 6. Root Vegetable Tarte Tatin 7. Beef Bourguignonne Pot Pie 8. Swiss Chard and Mushroom Galette
9. Blue Apron’s Crispy Chicken with Sauteed purple potatoes, kale and apples. 10. Homemade Chicken Broth 11. Moroccan Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew 12. Grilled Chicken with cumin spice rub. 13. Orange Chicken 14. Pistachio Chicken with Mustard/Dill Sauce.
15. Chicken Roulade (pounding a chicken breast flat, filling it with what you want, then rolling it up tight in plastic wrap and cooking)
17. Brine your cuts of meat (especially poultry and pork)
18. Chicken & Goat’s Cheese salad with roasted red peppers. 19. Dr. Weil’s Kale Salad 20. Classic Caesar Salad from scratch. 21. Beet Salad #1 22.The Best Curried Chicken Salad you’ll ever eat. 23. Chick Pea salad. 24. Quinoa Salad.
Two weeks ago I asked my readers to try something new and send me a photo of it. And they did! Including homemade vegan hotdogs! Another reader sent a cookie into space, which didn’t really qualify as trying a new food, but it’s still interesting. Here are a few of my favourites that were sent to me.
66. Steak with Chimichurri sauce & Fire Roasted Corn Made by reader Linda.
67. Chicken Chili from Weight Watchers made by Anne.
68. Dragon Fruit Pudding w/ coconut milk. Made by reader Connie.
70. Vegan Pineapple Curry Tofu bowl. Made for reader Mary by her granddaughter.
74. Banana Pancakes (only banana & eggs!) made by Mariaurora
75. Homemade Bread from my favourite bread book The New Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Made by Marie. There’s no kneading and you can store the dough in the fridge for a couple of weeks and just pull out a bunch of it when you feel like making bread. It’s a bread miracle.
Have a good weekend and try something new.
And I think I’d also like to add barnacles to that.
And probably brussels sprouts.
Other than that … go nuts.